Smiles & Tears

3/01/2006

Danke Auber Nein Danke !





That’s the German translation for English (thank you but no thanks) .. notes from my journey to Germany as it wasn't quite as i expected ..

Expectations

This was my first visit to where Hitler was born Germany… …and believe me nothing could have prepared me for the welcome I have received from them in the airpor..it was the kind of welcome that I would never forget!…

although I have been warned by several people that the Germans are a bit of dry kind of people and not that much friendly .. my hubby is kind of a regular visitor as he always goes there because of his job…and my mom and two of my siblings gave it at a visit few months ago too…to take a second opinion regarding my mom’s health condition....
So I went accepting to see some conservative type of people..and I was fine with that..i wasn’t going there to socialize with them anyways!!..i was going to have a break and enjoy my self with my man..away from kids and all…but what happened in the airport made me get stunned for few hours that was the transit time in Frankfurt and the flight we took to get to our destination Hamburg …


First impressions …German flight(Lufthansa)….German airport(Frankfurt)!!

This is what happened ….after a tiresome flight that we took from Muscat and the transit in Riyadh we reached Frankfurt ..we were very tired but I was all smiles.. as I always feel very excited when I visit a new place!…..although a German hostess was hitting on my hubby so obviously throughout the flight ..but I wasn’t bothered a bit…on the contrary I was flattered and i thought ok..maybe she thinks that we were siblings and I told my hubby that but he laughed!!.... strangely I was told by strangers several times that we look alike! …..i find that odd because there is no resemblance between us two in any ways!….at two times some people even weirdly thought he was my father!!!...now that’s absurd cause he is only 5 years older then me although according to his passport he is 7 years older;)…it’s maybe because he doesn’t color his hair!!....anyways back to the hostess ..well I made sure that she knows that this was my hubby and not my brother(lol)… but then came another hostess who tried her luck by lifting up her blouse in the corner where only my hubby and I can see!!..aween to fix it!!.…
Now came the part I hated the most in my journey… we had to pass the metal detectors ..my hubby passed ..but when I did it went on…it was because of my watch so I just wanted to take it out and go back again but unfortunately they didn’t let me …then a women who looks and talks like a man approached me and with what I thought very rude voice asked me to take out my jacket suit..when i refused she raised her voice …I felt so humiliated …it was very embarrassing as they didn’t have any private room to check women as we do ..I was hesitating to take out my suit because I was wearing only a tiny and very short sleeves blouse inside …so I told her in English that this is a suit…she interrupted me with German screaming like I was some kind of a criminal in a jail!!..asking me to turn around while she was using the hand metal detector to search me…i looked helplessly at my hubby he nodded for me to do what she was saying so I did.. then this sick woman started touching me all over in a very bad manner!…she even tried to lift up my blouse!!!..which I held tightly!...i was so stunned that I stood there speechless..tears clouding my eyes…I felt I was being treated like a terrorist!..never in my whole life I have been so humiliated! …they even searched my small hand bag!....
when we walked away my hubby tried to cheer me up..he said maybe they are being more careful now because of the recent threats and that they were searching everyone … but I brushed my tears..and realized that I was treated like this because of the scarf I was wearing on my head..i realized this was my first trip to an European country with hijab….all my previous trips were without it…ok I still don’t consider my self a mohajibah just a mo7tashimah…but I am trying my best ever since I decided to wear a full hijab some months ago…and believe me its very hard when all of your life you are not used to wear it!
as we walked through the terminals I felt that they are staring at me and looking me from my head down to my toes like I was some kind of alien ..i felt so self conscious …. I told my hubby that I want to go back home right there in the airport!...he tried to make me on ease joking that they stare at you because you are beautiful duuuuuuh!!…he told me that I shouldn’t get bothered ..but because i am a sensitive person by nature and cant tolerate abuse of any kind… I decided not to wear hijab during my stay…I know now that how wrong and weak I was by doing that because later on I have witnessed some Muslim either Turkish or Persians women getting verbally abused and laughed at by some men but they didn’t care less they walked so proudly with their hijabs on …


German Cities Hamburg and Lunenburg




Hamburg is a beautiful city…that has many ancient buildings and beautiful churches ..and a large lake that is in the centre of the city….that makes it ideal place to have long walks … especially that our hotel was near by the lake in the centre of the shopping arcades…with the restaurants and coffee shops just blocks a way …..although the weather was freezing cold…nevertheless I enjoyed the shopping and the sight seeing along with the long walks that we had along the lake…and there are few attractions worth visting like musical plays...and I just loved the city’s layout…even if I didn’t like it’s people that much!... we even went to another city called Linburg… a nice place although I find it its more like a village then a city……it’s a bit quite but very beautiful …..a perfect place to relax or have a picnic or just stroll around its quite streets and enjoy the scenery …and I learned that having a navigator in the car helps a lot to get you easier to new places …


German people



They are so unfriendly…I have never been across such rude and unfriendly people in my whole life ….and funny is how they assume that everyone should know their language!..like they expect everyone to know it!…and when you talk in English ..they give you that rude look!!..and the way they treat others is so annoying …its realy frustrating not to understand a language ...even in the shops when it’s near closing time the salesmen/women would speak so loudly like they are kicking you out of the stupid shops!..and strangely they have this habit to stare at you!...both genders do that…I mean whenever we were out or dinning I would see someone staring at me…and believe me it gets very uncomfortable…

They never smile at you even their old women/men…they look at you proudly even when you give them your best Colgate smile!!...the only people who would constantly smile and speak English were the 5 *hotel staff where we were accommodated…me think they were trained and paid to smile… imagine a school to teach them how to smile!.....and only one old woman got very friendly and she approached me in one shop and asked me where I was from..and from her accent I am sure she was Greek.....she was very friendly and we had a short chit chat about the weather and she talked about her son and how he is living in a hot country like Thailand..


a second thing I have noticed that every time I would say Al7amdolilah or mashaAllah…they look at me in a sudden way!..it was kind of funny really…I never realized how paranoid they get from mere mention of lafth aljalalh Allah…I used to laugh about it and humur maybe they expect me to blow my self next!!!..how stupid!...Despite of all this I enjoyed my self very much throughout my stay ..unaware that i was about to face yet another tiresome and humiliating experience in the flight back home!


The Racist Journey Back Home


Although I was feeling very sad to leave my man alone and go back home but I was happy too to go back to my kids and my beloved Muscat…I was afraid of another military type of search so I decided I would only wear the hijab in the flight that takes me back home..so every thing went smoothly and I got the normal search..and my flight from Hamburg to Frankfurt was ok too..so after few hours of transit I finally got into the plane that was heading back home so I wore my hijab thinking that nothing would go wrong now that I am in the plane..but guess what! I was so wrong!!.. first the German hostess totally ignored me while she was serving the drinks as if I wasn’t there..so I called her and politely asked her if she thought I was invisible?!.. Smilingly she said sorry I didn’t notice you! I am new!!!..new! what this has to do with her ignoring me while she passed me by three times…and how can she be new when she seems older then me!!...and it’s not that I am a tiny child I am a grown up woman..and wasn’t she the same person who greeted me and said hello when I got seated before I wore my hijab!!..so how she couldn’t notice me!!..anyways I got angry when she asked me ‘so can I now get you something’ ..i said no! and I gave her a piece of my mind ..i told her you are very rude and I would report you, she kept on saying sorry…but that time I got so upset that I felt like crying..so she sent another hostess ..a Turkish man..he apologized on her behalf and said that she didn’t do it intentionally and not because I was Muslim !! ..now where did he get this idea from if it wasn’t discussed !..he said he was Muslim too..duh so?!!..he even offered me chocolates!!....he got on my nerves too cause he was talking to me as if he was talking to a child!! i told him I will report this incident …I was really fighting back my tears at the time…and I would have reported this!... only this woman became so paranoid so she would come and go asking me smilingly again and again if I needed anything…anyhow ..i forgot about it and then I heard another hostess making fun and laughing too!..ok I couldn’t understand her German and I didn’t see who she was… but I understood one word ‘Muzlem food’!!.. as when i booked for my return we requested for halal food and it seems she found this very funny!..so obviously she was laughing about this ..what astonishes me that there was a Hindu man and he was served vegetarian food so how come she didn’t make fun of him !!!..furthermore I was so upset that I just couldn’t eat ..so there I was lonely ….hungry and exhausted as I can never sleep in the plane no matter how hard I try… as we approached Muscat after having a one hour transit in Saudi..i felt relieved at last… and felt forgiving ..so I said bye and salam to the hostesses… I even smiled at them ….and since I was the only Omani in the flight and as soon as I found a porter I was the first to get out the airport …to be welcomed by my sister and my kids..and finally I thought this is the place I would never give up not even for a million rial ..i would never change my citizenship not even for the most beautiful countries..this is the place I belong to…home sweet home…

Conclusion



German will never be in my favorite list for holiday’s destinations …and I will never travel by Lufthansa airline not even if they had the cheapest fairs or even if they were the last airline in the world…

p.s pics are taken by me ..neat eh?..and i have the copy rights..(ahem)
posted by -Maha-, 10:31 PM

7 Comments:

oooops, sounds very uncomfortable. Sorrry about all what happened to u!!!!!!... They can be the rudest indeed. poor them, its funny how when they travel to our countries, we treat them like pearls, or those genuises high class thinggies'!
commented by Blogger Unknown, 3:00 PM  
I don't know what to say about them and unfortunately cannot comment on their behavior towards you not that I am calling you a liar or anything...it's just that I believe I need to experience something in order for me to pass some kind of judgement upon a service of some type..

but I am sorry if that was your experience and I am behind you - according to your tale - 100% on what you felt and did ..

but at least you got back home safe and sound al7amdullilah..

salam...Ghosty
commented by Blogger Sleepless In Muscat, 4:31 AM  
najah
that’s what bothers me the most !...but then again i remind my self when we respect our visitors this is how we are ..because we act according to our ethics ..so when we treat them well it shows our morality and how good mannered we are...on the other hand what they do to their visitors including us is an indicator of how they are and what are their manners..!

Ghosty
i don't wish anyone to go through what i did ...some one might say i am over reacting ..but you have to be there to feel what i have felt...never in my life i have faced such a humiliating experience...anyways indeed i am glad i am back home:)...
commented by Blogger -Maha-, 11:06 AM  
A series of unfortunate events ! The thing is when they visit our country they r more like treated like royalties, n they will jump straight to their embassies upon the slightest mishandling from our side, however when its our turn to visit their countries the result is more like what u experienced !!!
commented by Blogger Devilish, 1:48 PM  
nameless
thank you dear..:)

devilish
true but then when we treat them well this is how we are..this shows how civilized and well mannered we are as Arabs and as Muslims...it's funny how they say that we are barbaric and claim that they are the civilized people!..civilized or not..one thing is for sure...they need some lessons on manners and how to treat visitors...
commented by Blogger -Maha-, 11:22 AM  
Sorry to hear about your experience Smile. It is frustrating I know.
I have been there :(

Also, a little pointer, Hitler was born in Austria, not Germany :)
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 9:50 AM  
Anonymous
so you have been there too!..hope your experience was better then mine!

Regarding Hitler ..thanks for the info..:)
commented by Blogger -Maha-, 4:06 PM  

Add a comment

Free Web Counter
Counters