Smiles & Tears

3/28/2006

The Myth of Old Movies..!



Whenever I hear someone praising the good ole movies….the good ole BW or even the good ole colored ones …my mouth literally drops down..and i would be like what the hick are they talking about ?..what is so great about lousy set ups …over or under acting actors ..cheesy dialogues …fake lay outs..cartoon like graphics…silly love scenes especially the long GLUED lips kisses!!.... tacky clothes and weird hairdos!...now don’t get me wrong ..i know the cloth and hair dos reflect the fashion of that time the movie was made..but hey who have ever heard about a cowboy living in 19th century having a hairdo of fifties or sixties of the last century?....this is just ridiculous in a funny way…every time I watch an old movie be it English or Arabic I loose the interest and soon i become from a critic to one irritated watcher!..seriously it's like a torture!....so I end up making fun of it…or just stop watching it...

To make my point even more valid, let’s take for example a much talked about classic movie like 'Gone with the Wind'…that was based on a novel right…so i thought maybe this will be different then others..it's so popular that i have heard about it ever since I was a kid ..my parents and aunties..always used to talk about it whenever there was a conversation about good movies!..they had watched it when they were young or maybe along time after it's release I assume because this movie is very old!..it was released on 1939!…they always would say it was one of the greatest movies of all time!…I have heard some celebrities talking about it and gushing that it was their favorite movie!..... I even have read about it in many magazines as being such a great movie .. and how actors did a great performance blah blah blah…so I really wanted to watch it so desperately…curious to know what this hype was all about! …and I was hoping that at least this movie will change my views on old movies ..so you can’t imagine my shock when finally I had the chance to watch it !!..i was like oh my god what a boring long movie ..and the actors well they were even worst!....with their fake accents and over acting skills!!…if this was considered as a great movie then what was the worst? …so until I get to be proven wrong ..i will continue rating old movies as bad movies ..and hey old is not always gold!..
posted by -Maha-, 10:52 PM

6 Comments:

well your opinion is just one opinion and many many others beg to differ with you as will your children when they grow up to see your taste in movies and other things from your time...

so it really is a vicious cycle i am afraid..
commented by Blogger Sleepless In Muscat, 2:41 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
commented by Blogger -Maha-, 4:07 PM  
ok agreed every era has it's own fans..but still no one can deny the fact that today's movies are far more advanced then the movies of yesterdays...and today's actor are more talented then the old actors....as they don't over act..
commented by Blogger -Maha-, 10:10 PM  
When you say old movies just how old do you mean? The only example you mentioned is Gone with the Wind which is from 1939, and which by the way I only saw in 2003 and I actually loved it.

Do you really think today's movies are better than all movies from earlier times? Not just the 30's and 40's but even maybe the 70's and 80's?

Almost all my favorite movies were made in 60's, 70's and 80's like Dr. Strangelove, Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather and Godfather II, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, The Conversation, Once Upon a Time in America, Raging Bull, Blade Runner.

Are those considered old movies?
commented by Blogger muscati, 4:29 PM  
To think of it .. earlier I used to mean by old movies the movies that were made before my time..but now I can include some of the movies that I watched when I was a youngster too!..

All the movies that i thought were so great when I watched them back in late seventies, eighties and early nineties..somehow they don’t seem so great anymore....i changed my mind about few of them when I had the chance to watch them again!..

Even the horror movies that seemed so terrifying at the time..are just silly in a funny way now.. excluding (Exorcist)...as somehow I still find it scary as i did when i was a kid!...

Some of the movies you have mentioned are in my favorite list too...but i am sure i might change my mind about them if i had the chance to watch them again!...i will probably hate some of them!

I think it’s due to the fact that as we grow we change, and so does our taste and the ways we look at different things...

Btw I watched (gone with the wind) only last year..and i hated it..the only thing i liked was the story!..and wow! you loved it!...it's amazing how different people see the same thing in so many different ways!..:)
commented by Blogger -Maha-, 1:08 PM  
When I love a movie I keep coming back to it. A LOT. Production values might age, but good stories never do. Some movies made in the 80's particular, which had electronic synth soundtracks, sound a bit hokey when you watch them again, but despite the soundtrack the movies themselves are still good.
commented by Blogger muscati, 8:57 PM  

Add a comment

Free Web Counter
Counters